Developing Skills for the Future
From English Language Arts to Life Science and History, our 7th Grade curriculum focuses on further developing your child’s research, analysis, and writing skills.
Using Calvert’s detailed lessons as their guide, 7th graders will:
- Continue to build strong grammar and composition skills through descriptive and expository writing.
- Deepen literary analysis skills while reading works from authors and poets such as Maya Angelou, Langston Hughes, and Ray Bradbury.
- Conduct meaningful research into the areas of ecology, the environment, cells, heredity and more in Life Science.
- Explore the founding principles of the U.S. government and our rights and responsibilities as citizens.
- Develop more advanced math skills as he/she works with algebraic equations, rational numbers, statistics and probability, and plane and solid figures.
Calvert Learning provides an engaging learning experience for students
Created for schools to guide students in a virtual or blended learning setting, Calvert curriculum includes:
- Quality texts and online resources from top education publishers.
- Lesson Manuals with daily lesson plans and step-by-step instructions.
- An online learning platform, the Calvert Teaching Navigator, that provides 24/7 access to texts, manuals, interactive activities, assessments, progress tracking tools, and more.
Calvert Learning offers curriculum to schools in 2 formats
Seventh grade is available in a Digital + Print Experience or in a Digital Experience. With the Digital + Print Experience, students will have access to online lessons with multimedia, interactive activities and assessments IN ADDITION to printed textbooks, workbooks and reading materials that complement learning. With our Digital Experience, students have access to the same texts and materials via e-textbooks and digital downloads.
Calvert's 7th Grade Courses Include:
English Language Arts
Projects emphasize gathering information from texts and conducting research to form opinions which students present through a variety of methods. Learners increase their skills by interpreting the ubiquitous information available in our digital age and presenting their analysis through digital means. They are tasked with creating a presentation to the leaders of world nations regarding human colonization of space and writing an art critique by taking virtual tours of the world’s most famous museums.
Students develop a strong conceptual understanding of Math skills and concepts. They draw on problem-solving skills and prior knowledge to simplify and solve algebraic expressions, approximate probability and relative frequency, and construct different geometric figures. Students learn to identify the plane shapes, and then use those skills to assemble a three-dimensional object.
Engaging in virtual labs and diverse instructional materials creates a rich learning experience. Grade 7 students explore Life Science through inquiry and scientific thought. Topics include cell function, processes of plants, animal behavior, the systems of the human body, and ecology.
How can today’s students relate to events of the past? Grade 7 students study U.S. History from the first Americans through the American Revolution, the Civil War, and Reconstruction. Then they develop a social media campaign to convince colonists to either declare independence or stay loyal to England.
Art and Art History 7: Architecture
In this online course, students apply concepts from Art History, incorporating what they have learned about trilithons and step pyramids, to design various buildings and structures.
Fitness Basics 1
In this online course, students will gain a basic understanding of fitness and nutrition. In this online course, they will learn about exercise technique and proper posture, warm up and cool down. Students conduct fitness assessments, set goals, develop their own fitness program, and participate in weekly physical activity.